Biotext is looking for a motivated digital and graphic designer to join our team.
Biotext turns complex science and policy information into effective publications. For more than 15 years, we have produced publications for scientific agencies, government departments, and academic and nongovernment organisations, both in Australia and overseas. Biotext is an acknowledged leader in science writing, editing and design, specialising in health and biomedical science, environment, agriculture and government.
Working closely with our design and editing teams, you will design and produce online content and print publications for Biotext clients. Your role will include concept development for web and print, information design, page layout, HTML production, image research, data visualisation and infographic development. You will assist with project management, and have the opportunity to learn about, and contribute to, Biotext’s editing and design processes and business procedures.
We are looking for a self-driven designer who is keen to expand on their design skills and experience, and to work with a busy design team.
- A keen interest in science and clear scientific communication
- 3–5 years of experience as a designer
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat (particularly using advanced templates for complex, long documents)
- Expertise with Drupal and WordPress content-management systems, including working with themes at the code level
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word (particularly using paragraph styles) and Excel (particularly charts)
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team
- Attention to detail
- Good spoken and written English
- Experience with responsive web design and information architecture
- Experience with user-testing methodologies and incorporating insights into designs
- Experience creating semantically correct HTML
- Experience in preparing accessible PDFs
- Experience in managing the publication process
- Experience in business development, marketing and communication
- A background in science
Hours: Preferably full-time (flexible working hours available)
Salary: Negotiable based on qualifications, experience and skills
Start date: May 2017
Location: Bruce, Canberra
Applications: Applications should be lodged by email (with ‘Designer application’ as the subject line) and include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria; a résumé, including the names of at least 2 referees; and a portfolio, including examples of high-quality publication work. Applications close on 30 April 2017.