Learn how to match your type of data to the correct graph, table or map, and how to design these visuals so that your ‘data story’ has the most effect.
- The need for data visualisation – why visualise?
- Finding your ‘data story’ – what are we trying to say?
- Choosing the visual – match the visual to the message
- Things to avoid – practical advice
- Designing the visuals, including:
- font choices
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- create graphs that
- are intuitive and require little reader effort
- are visually appealing
- contain data that best communicates the overall ‘story’
- make the data ‘shine’
- uphold principles of scientific publishing
- know what to look for in a proposal or publication on data
- understand the harm that can come from misrepresenting data.
This interactive course includes lectures, group discussions, exercises and comprehensive course notes.